For a complete list of Amtrak policies, click here.
Accessibility: All Downeaster trains welcome passengers with special needs. Our trains and stations are wheelchair-accessible, allow service animals, and offer assistance when needed. Information (such as schedules and meeting documents) is available in alternative formats upon request.
- Contact Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or 1-800-523-6590 (TTY) to request information in an alternative format; or,
- Contact NNEPRA’s Policy and Administration Department by calling 1-207-780-1000 x107 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request information in an alternative format; or,
- Alternative formats may also be requested online by visiting http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com or http://www.nnepra.com select Contact Us at the top of the web page.
- Interpreter services are available by request.
Pets: Small Dogs and Cats are permitted on Downeaster Trains.
- Pet reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis. No more than five pets are permitted per train.
- Pet reservations can only be made with a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station.
- The fare for pets is $25.00 per carrier, for each travel segment.
- Passengers travelling with pets must sign a pet waiver with the train crew.
For more information regarding pets onboard, please review the complete Amtrak program guidelines.
Photo Identification: Downeaster passengers, 16 and older, must present a valid photo ID when purchasing tickets and have the photo ID available onboard the train. Passengers under 18 who do not have a photo ID must have an adult, 18 or over, with a valid photo ID purchase tickets for them.
Baggage: Checked bag service is not available on Downeaster trains. Each Downeaster passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Please click here to view Amtrak's Baggage Policies.
Bicycles: A limited number of spaces are available on the Downeaster to transport unboxed bicycles. Bicycles are handled at Brunswick, Portland, and Boston stations only. Reservations are required and a service charge applies. Passengers may be required to assist in loading, securing, and unloading the bicycle.
Minors: Minors under the age of 16 may not travel on the Downeaster without an accompanying adult.
Service Animals: Trained service animals accompanying passengers with disabilities are permitted in our stations, on our trains and Amtrak thruway motor coaches. No other animals are permitted onboard at any time.
Miscellaneous: Smoking is not permitted on any Downeaster train.
Passengers are not permitted to consume their private stock of alcoholic beverages on Downeaster trains.
Change Travel Document: Passengers who previously have train travel booked between Portland, ME and Boston, MA North Station and would like to travel on Concord Coach, must change their travel document.
Safety & Security: Report any suspicious, unmarked, or unattended items immediately to the station agent or train crew. Travelers can help keep our trains safe and secure for everyone by being watchful and observant.
Bicycles: A limited number of spaces are available to transport bicycles on some Downeaster trains. Advanced reservations are required, and a $5.00 service charge applies.