Pets: Small Dogs and Cats Permitted on Downeaster Trains
- Pet reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis. No more than five pets are permitted per train.
- Pet reservations can only be made with a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station.
- The fare for pets is $25.00 per carrier, for each travel segment.
- Passengers travelling with pets must sign a pet waiver with the train crew.
For more information regarding pets onboard, please review the complete Amtrak program guidelines.
Coach Class: Enjoy comfortable reclining seats with lots of legroom and plenty of space to move around. Fold-down trays, overhead reading lights, free Wi-Fi and electrical outlets are available at every seat. Each coach car is equipped with luggage racks and a restroom, and has at least one set of 4-seat chairs, which give friends and family the chance to enjoy the trip together.
Business Class: For only an additional $9, each Downeaster train offers a small business class section, which includes perks such as extra-spacious fully reclining leather seats, complimentary newspapers, and a free non-alcoholic beverage delivered to your seat. The business class section is conveniently located at the end of the train, adjacent to the Café. The next time you ride, ask about a business class upgrade!
Free Wireless Internet: Passengers can conveniently monitor e-mail or surf the Internet on the Downeaster all for free.
Downeaster Café: The Downeaster Café is located on every train and offers snacks, light meals, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages at a reasonable price for the passengers. Many local and regionally made products are featured, such as Wicked Whoopie Pies, Shipyard Microbrews, and more. The menu offerings change often to reflect seasons and special events. Please note: Passengers are not permitted to consume their private stock of alcoholic beverages on Downeaster trains.
Accessibility: All Downeaster trains welcome passengers with special needs. Our trains and stations are wheelchair-accessible, allow service animals, and offer assistance when needed. Information (such as schedules and meeting documents) is available in alternative formats upon request.
- Contact Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or 1-800-523-6590 (TTY) to request information in an alternative format; or,
- Contact NNEPRA’s Policy and Administration Department by calling 1-207-780-1000 x107 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request information in an alternative format; or,
- Alternative formats may also be requested online by visiting http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com or http://www.nnepra.com select Contact Us at the top of the web page.
- Interpreter services are available by request.
Bicycles: A limited number of spaces are available to transport bicycles on some Downeaster Trains. Bicycles are handled at Brunswick, Portland, and Boston North Station ONLY. Advanced reservations are required, and a $5.00 service charge applies.
Train Hosts: Friendly volunteers are often on board to provide information about stations, attractions and transportation connections. Click here to learn more about the Train Host program managed by TrainRiders Northeast.